Why You Should Buy a Vancouver Island Waterfront Home
Vancouver Island is one of the best places in the world for waterfront homes. The natural, west coast beauty of British Columbia paired with warmer waters makes this a haven for waterfront real estate listings. Some of the most luxurious homes are found overlooking lakes and the ocean and for good reason. In this article, we discuss a few of our top reasons for living by the water, along with a few considerations to keep in mind when looking for a new home or beach house to buy.
Waterfront, Waterview – what’s the difference?
In general, waterfront homes are situated along the shoreline of either a lake, ocean, or river. The water is usually steps away from the home. If you are imagining a home on the lake, with a short path to the shoreline where your wharf is waiting for you – then you are thinking of a waterfront property.
Waterview homes contain a view of the body of water. This can be a glimpse off in the distance, or it can be paired with a waterfront home, giving the best of both worlds. Sometimes the home is near water, but not near enough to be right on the edge of the shoreline. Other times it is a considerable distance away, making some people wonder if there is much of a view in the first place!
Benefits of lakeside (or oceanside) living
There are so many great reasons to live alongside the water. Whether you choose the calm, still waters of a lake or the comforting sound of waves caressing the shoreline, there’s much to be said about waterfront living. Here are some of our top reasons why you should buy a Vancouver Island waterfront home.
- Vancouver Island is renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty, with rugged coastlines, pristine forests, and majestic mountains. Living in a waterfront home allows you to fully immerse yourself in this stunning environment and enjoy the sights and sounds of the ocean or lake every day. Also, there is a wealth of recreational opportunities available, from hiking and camping in the nearby mountains to fishing, kayaking, and boating on the water.
- Do you enjoy peace and quiet? There’s something inherently calming about living by the water, with the sound of the waves lulling you to sleep at night and the gentle sea breeze blowing through your windows. If you’re looking for a peaceful, serene lifestyle, this type of home might be just what you need.
Many lakefront properties are considerably more private than their city counterparts. Living out near a lake can sometimes mean your home is nestled in trees, surrounded mainly by natural flora and fauna. Several oceanfront properties also contain private beaches, inaccessible to the general public.
- If a community is important to you, anywhere on Vancouver Island is a prime opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals who share your love of the outdoors and the ocean. This is another way to provide a sense of belonging within your community.
- Is your health important to you? Often these homes are away from cities and closer to nature. In addition to providing a serene environment, things like better air quality, lowered stress, and more of an inclination for physical activity can all benefit your health.
- Live the dream in your vacation home, full-time! Instead of renting an Airbnb or houseboat, relax on your terms when it is most convenient for you. While taking a week-long vacation is nice, there is something to be said for the opportunity to take an hour or so out of your day to lounge on the wharf, take a quick dip, or roast marshmallows on the shore, whenever you please.
Considerations when buying waterfront properties
Purchasing a waterfront property is a big investment, so it is important to consider how this purchase will impact your lifestyle and budget. Before jumping the gun, make sure you are aware of the following things to consider:
- While you may initially consider purchasing a property for your home, it can also serve as an investment opportunity. Waterfront properties are highly sought after, and Vancouver Island is no exception. If you choose to invest in a waterfront home, you may see significant appreciation in value over time. You can live in it for years and then sell it later at a potentially higher price than the original purchase price, or you can rent it out as a vacation home for additional income. Nanaimo waterfront homes for sale today may end up being a great investment for later, as its central location, ample transportation, and access to amenities is so convenient.
- Depending on the area, conveniences like municipal water and sewage might not be an option. This can mean there are added expenses for waste management and water filtration. Some homes may require a water filtration system that brings in lakewater to the home and purifies it for safe consumption. Getting the lake tested for contaminants ahead of time is a smart move, too. Regarding waste management, your home may require the installation and maintenance of a septic system. Household garbage may not be picked up curbside, so regular trips to the nearest landfill might be part of your new routine.
- Insurance costs may be higher than a similar home located in town, depending on the possibility of natural disasters like flooding or tsunamis. How far away is your home from emergency responders? This is important to consider for both your health and may affect the price of your insurance premium.
- Building regulations and zoning bylaws may differ from those in town. As there is more natural beauty, additional environmental regulations may affect where you can build structures, for example. If you envision developing your property, make sure your custom plans are approved by the governing authorities ahead of time.
Curious to see what waterfront properties are on the market today?
Are you excited to live along the waterfront? With benefits such as reduced stress, beautiful views, and easy access to fun water sports activities, living in a waterfront property can’t be beaten.
If you are curious about learning more about additional pros and cons of living along the waterfront, please reach out to our team at Ballard Fine Homes. As a Nanaimo home-building company, we have extensive knowledge of all the nooks and crannies of Vancouver Island and are excited to help you on the path to your dream home. Reach out to us to find out more about building a custom home or how we can help you renovate your existing home into something more luxurious.